Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Test of Patience

Today we had our first official lesson with our new twelve year old Sunday School class... We decided that I would teach the lesson this week, which was on Choosing to Follow Christ and how we chose in the Pre-mortal existence. Of course the lesson in the manual is not very long at all so I had to do a lot of lengthening to fill the forty five minutes.
Anyway, we get into class and I ask, as usual, if they had any questions from the past week; they ignore me and didn't answer, some just carried on their conversations. Jon and I get the kids attention and I just carry on with the lesson.
Basically I would have to stop the lesson several times, because someone was talking or would ask a question that wasn't relevant to what we were talking about.
I think what tested my patience the most was when one of the boys in our class said,"I want to meet a 100 year old Jew just so I can make fun of what happened with Hitler." It took all my might to not yell at him and tell him off. I couldn't even give him an answer like, "We need to respect all religions." Or, "We need to be sympathetic, because our people went through the same thing almost 200 years ago when the pioneers were kicked out of their homes."
No I couldn't even say that. All I could do is look at him with my well practiced, that is not appropriate, look.
I know that I need to love these kids and I will respect them. All I can do is pray that I can help them. Because I know that we have been called to this class for a reason, I just pray that that reason will be fulfilled and not blocked by my impatience.
God bless our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment